Re: Costs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Costs
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:28:12 +1200
Hi Tim,

Oooohhh I couldn't resist this one....

This will be different for each individual, but in my experience is there
is little money to be made from classic car ownership (we at least where I
live). Here in NZ, we have cheap Jap imports. For about a third of the cost
of a tidy Tr6, you can buy a nice Toyota MR2 turbo which goes faster,
handles better, has more shiny bits and doesn't break down.

Most people in my local club who own the cars do so not for investment
reasons, but more for enjoyment (myself included).  That being the case, my
car is an entertainment / leisure expense. Thus, I would like to the most
bang for my buck possible so I will still look out for the best deal. This
is also partly the reason for choosing a TR6 - they are simple to work on,
parts are reasonably cheap, when looked after they are reliable and most of
all great fun.

So in conclusion, I think I agree with you about the investment value of
our cars, but at the same time, I suspect that most people still have to
watch how much they spend. Sadly, my car has to compete for money against
other things (like rent, food, etc) and will have to do so until I win
lotto (unlikely, 'cos I don't usually buy a ticket....).

Hope this wasn't too boring...

Cheers
Bernard