Re: tr6 electric fan conversion

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, "'6 Pack List'" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:23:07 +1200
Hi Peter,

I'm in the process of installing an electric fan in TR6 (the reason I
haven't finished it is I'm looking for a switch)
I am looking at the spare bolt hole opposite the temperature sender on
thermostat housing. Looking at a couple of japanese cars, they seem to have
the sensor in either the top radiator hose or near the thermostat so it
senses the temperature of the water leaving the engine rather than the temp
of the water entering the engine. I think it should be possible to either
get a switch of the same thread as the temperature sender or alternatively,
make up a thread adaptor for the switch.

The other I have seen which works well is a metal pipe with the temp switch
installed in the middle of the top hose.

I have a question about the BMW switch....

When the temperature rises enough to require the fan, does the BMW switch
go from open circuit to short circuit, or the other way around? Also, what
temperature does it start and stop at?

(The toyota ones I have looked at seem to go from short circuit to open
circuit which is the opposite logic for what I want)

Cheers
Bernard Robbins
73 TR6 PI
71 2500 PI