Oxygen Sensor Questions.....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Oxygen Sensor Questions.....
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 09:12:35 +1200
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am about to remove the old Lucas mechanical fuel injection off my TR6 and
install electronic injection using parts cobbled from a Toyota Cressida and
an aftermarket EFI controller.

I would like to run this system in closed loop with an O2 sensor.

There are two types of sensor, one is a preheated 3 wire unit, the other is
a single wire unit which relies solely on the heat of the exhaust to keep
it active. I would like to install the unheated unit if possible (cheaper).

What I would like to know is does the unheated unit cool down when the car
is idling (and thus no reading until the exhaust heats up) or is the
exhaust heat at idle sufficient to keep it active?  I envisage putting the
sensor within 6-8" or so of the exhaust outlet just above the manifold flange.

What brands of O2 sensors are people using in their TR6's?

Regards

Bernard Robbins

Installation Department
NEC New Zealand Ltd