Re: Engine Smokes

To: Gabriel Ige <gige@global-merchants.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Smokes
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:19:12 -0500
If valve guides are worn, and the symptoms you describe indicate they
may be, then your valves are moving around a bit inside the guides.
Valve guide seals will not cure this problem and I would have the guides
replaced with bronze valve guides available from TRF and others.
Actually, if your valve guides are worn you most likely are due for a
head overhaul. Count on replacing the rockers, rocker shaft and at least
the exhaust valves. If your shop thinks the TR6 came with valve guide
seals you might want to look around for a competent machine shop to do
the work.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO