2000-register

Spin-on oil filters, etc

To: "Triumph 2000 Register" <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spin-on oil filters, etc
From: "cliff" <clifford.pope@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:46:44 -0000
1) I fitted a spin-on oil filter conversion a few years ago, assuming that the
point was that it kept the oil in the system when the engine was off, instead
of letting it all run back down into the sump like the standard set up.

Two recent observations however:
When I unscrew the filter when the oil is hot, there is a gush of oil.
But if I unscrew the filter after the car has been standing a while, there is
hardly any oil spillage.

This appears to mean that the filter set up is not working, and the non-return
valve leaks.

Or maybe the new filter block does not have a valve either, it is just that
the conversion permits the fitting of a filter with an internal non-return
valve? If this is so, then anyone with one of these should be warned that it
only does half the job, and offers no protection in itself?

2)  Does anyone have a tip on how to fit the spring circlips holding the rear
brake cylinders to the backplate? (2000 Mark 1, same as Mark 2?)
I have lost one, which pinged off into oblivion, and severely stretched
another so that I am dubious of its holding power. Should the jaws of the
circlip be forced open keeping it flat, or should one of the lugs be bent up
and then hit back down again into the groove?

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Cliff Pope

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list