2000-register

Sacrilege maybe - but it looks neat

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Sacrilege maybe - but it looks neat
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:40:13 +0100
Just a suggestion for those of you hunting in vain for a genuine or
replica badge bar for your Barb or Innsbruck. I've combed autojumbles
for two years past looking for the 'real' thing  - and found only one
that was tatty in the extreme. The vendor fruitlessly tried to
persuade me "it was a steal" at GBP30 and it also needed replating for
yet more cost.
Rummaging in my 'tat' box, I unearthed one I made earlier - but that
too was scratched with signs of chrome damage. Throwing financial
caution to the winds, I replicated that (first created nearly forty
years ago) for under a fiver.
A visit to my local hardware store resulted in the purchase of a
chromed intermediate wall-bracket for a bathroom towel rail together
with a one metre length of chrome rail to go in it and two neat, black
plastic end plugs. Drilled and tapped the base of the support for a
small bolt, did the same for a grub screw to lock bar to bracket and
carefully cut a piece of old inner tube as an insulator / packing
piece to go between bracket base and bumper. Then drilled the bumper.
It may not be what ST Parts Division offered as a factory approved
accessory but the one or two enquiries of "that's a neat little bar,
where did you get it?" - suggests that now in place with my two old
but nicely refurbished badges, the finished offering looks pretty
good. The badge clips were still a bit sloppy, even when tightened but
their removal for a careful winding of duct tape round the bar, then
trimmed with the badges once more in position did the trick. All in
all, about 2 hours work - including the trip to the hardware shop. The
only downside to the whole affair is that I now have a piece of 1
metre rail measuring a little less than a metre, that's looking for a
good home!

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Fools rush in - and grab all the best seats"

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
THE CROCUS AND A CORNFLOWER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus
The SLOW progress with 'Canley Girl':