2000-register

More engine stuff!

Subject: More engine stuff!
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:23:22 +1200
No, it isn't quite that bad! (I hope!!)
I was in the process of taking the timing cover off and noticed that the
crankshaft would move back and forth! It isn't a lot, so the washers
haven't dropped out completely (yet!), but it's a whole lot more than the
0.006-8in thou. it should be.

Now this is the sticky bit. I'm wanting to get the car back on the road asap
with the fine weather coming, and to buy an engine stand (which I won't need
again) seems a waste, so what I'm wanting to know is, how hard is it to do
the thrust washers with the engine bolted back in the car?

Oh, another couple of questions. Should the starter ring gear be greased at
all?
Running it dry doesn't sound that good, but it might make a bit of a mess,
maybe a very thin wipe of a heavy grade one would do.
And last thing, does anyone recommend a grade/brand of grease for the clutch
driven plate to slide on?

thanks a lot
Davew

///