2000-register

Re: oil leaks etc

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <clifford.pope@virgin.net>,
Subject: Re: oil leaks etc
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:30:03 +1300
Hi John, Cliff and register members

For too many years, we in New Zealand have had to suffer poor quality petrol
after leaded petrol was phased out. Among the many problems, the fact that
the new formulation attacked rubber components was the worst of them. The
problem lies in what is used to 'boost' the octane - Toulene is the main
one, there is also benzine and something else (can't remember righht now).
All of them are hard on rubber and also paint... And on top of that, they
are carnegenic (which is worse, that or a bit of lead). It sounds as though
the new UK petrol is not much different.

The additives were a waste of time and money and if anything harmed the
car - they certainly did not help. Having to clean the sparkplugs on an
otherwise healthy engine every 5000km convinced me that the product
(Valvemaster) was no good.

The Triumph engine does not need additive anyway IMHO. The New Zealand
experience in the 70's (read oil shortages) was to convert many cars to CNG
or LPG. There is no additive in those fuels. Triumphs made some of the best
conversions - both in the way they accepted the conversion (ie. performance)
and also in the reliability - there were absolutely no valve problems and if
anything the engines lasted longer.

So if I was you in the UK, I would put in plain highest octane petrol with
no additives. Make sure that the rubber components are checked thoroughly
now and each time the car is serviced and make sure that any petrol spillage
is thoroughly cleaned off paint work. And enjoy your cars...

David Greed
1974 Stag Man O/D
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: Home: greed@wave.co.nz