2000-register

RE: July 'Classic Cars'

To: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@inl.uio.no>
Subject: RE: July 'Classic Cars'
From: Andrew Thompson <ajt@expmining.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:54:06 +0800

        Asgeir,

        I like the mechanical PI because it is possible to adjust when the
engine
        is worn or modified but I hate it at times because it can be a pig
when the
        weather is too cold (uneven running until thoroughly warm) or too
hot. On a good
        day, equivalent to the UK when they developed the system (15-20
degrees, sea
        level etc) the car runs beautifully but everything else has to be a
compromise.

        I have looked into several after market systems in Oz and will take
the plunge
        one day. The choice is bewildering compared to a few years ago. My
prefered
        option will be to keep the PI inlet side but machine the manifolds
to accept solenoid
        type injectors and fuel rail. This removes the major cost of many
systems (weber
        inlet manifolds and throttle bodies). I want to use a system that
has full sequential injection
        and many cheaper systems don't use this. I am undecided on whether
to use fully
        mappable ignition but ultimately this would give more power and
economy.

        Does anybody know of anyone using such a system

        Systems available over here (OZ) include:

        Microtech
        WOLF 2D and 3D
        Haltech
        Motec

        I know Weber Alpha and Lumenition are big in the UK

        J Type Overdrives taking  1/2 sec sounds fine. Maybe a bit
        slower when cold. Mine improved markedly when I cleaned the filters.

        I was getting close to a BMW 3.0S saloon and then he fitted an
        old M5 286bhp 24-valve motor!!!!!!!

        Cheers Andy T