Powder coating brake drums

To: VRG_NewsGroup@yahoogroups.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Powder coating brake drums
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:30:04 +0000
All,

Has anyone tried powder coating on brake drums?  I'm tired of having to
re-paint mine every season, the paint burns off. Have tried many types of
high-temp paint, none last.  Surface prep isn't the problem.  Will
"standard" powder coating hold up to the temperatures, or will I need
high-temp powder coat?  My coater can do either but high-temp is expensive.

Yes I suppose I could get scientific about this and measure my actual drum
temps with temperature-indicating paint, but our season doesn't start around
here until April and I'd rather get this done now.  Standard powder coat is
cured at 400 deg F which seems higher than race conditions.

Does anyone have actual experience?

Mark Palmer