RE: Ca. Vehicle registration

To: "Erichreich@aol.com" <Erichreich@aol.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ca. Vehicle registration
From: "cfchrist@earthlink.net" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:52:13 -0400
in pennsylvania if you do not have the title the state first treats the
vehicle as if it were stolen.  checking the vin number and checking if it
shows up anywhere listed as stolen.  but what transpires thereafter is very
disturbing!  a title with the car's true identity will not be issued!  in
Pa. they issue a "reconstructed vehicle" title now calling the vehicle
"year of reconstruction issue" as built date!  i have a 55 chevy i'm
restoring wich must retain it's original serial number in order to
"restore" it.   the car would loose that serial number and be issued a new
serial number plate calling it a (if issued this year) 2005 vehicle and
before being allowed to become "roadworthy" a first inspection is to be
made at the state police barracks garage as if it were a reconstructed car
made out of two unitised wrecked cars!    this is way-way too complicated!
also ruins the future value of the car because it "erases" the cars
history(also makes it inelligible for vintage registration and insurance
too!).    in addition, can you imagine going to have your 1955 car now
registered as a 2005 car emission tested?  since the registration will
imply it MUST be inspected in that manner.
all that beging said i used "titles unlimited", paid the fees to get an out
of state title for my car and transferred it to Pa. in my name and
circumvented the whole process in order to preserve the car's identity and
original serial number.    the car i have is a very very early 55 built in
november of 54.  it has some very early production features (in GM
termiology "first design" items) wich i'm intending to preserve in it's
restoration.
can you imagine taking a '55 lotus for an inspection titled and registered
as a 2005 lotus?   honestly i could not!    this issue is a rather gray
area and varies state to state .
carefully research your specific state's requirements without revealing
exactly what you have or processing any paperwork!   you could literally
end up making your original car a replica or reconstructed car wich in the
long run will be horribly painfull to get "undone" as the system is not
very easy to get anything done like this!    they have next to no
provisions for these once in a while exceptions to the rule and the folks
who process the paperwork are not at all helpfull in most cases!

chuck.
"that darn oarnge saab"
'60   93F  #251