RE: Stolen RMVR Sprite Race Car and rig

To: <KLynch7589@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stolen RMVR Sprite Race Car and rig
From: <rickyocum@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 00:53:48 -0800
> Dear Vintage Community.
>

> One of our RMVR members, on his way to race at CVAR's Hallett event, had
his
> entire rig stolen last night from the parking lot of a motel he was
staying
> at in Denver.  Perhaps the immediacy of this alert might help.  If you
> recognize any of the following, please contact the owner, Mark Hansen.

Here goes Rick atop his soapbox.  A little over a year ago some low-life
bottom feeders broke into my race shop and left with about $15,000 in tools
and about half that much in car parts which, you should know, aren't covered
by standard insurance policies.  They go with the car that is insured, and
if it's an uninsured race car, they are NOT covered.  My lesson learned!
They took, for chrissakes, an Offy intake for a 230 Chevy and its matching
carb.  Big market for that...right?  And just the other day I went to
retrieve a Chevy three-speed that (someday) is destined for a '38 Chevy
stock car I want to build.  Well, that tranny won't be installed in any car
of mine 'cause it ain't there any more.

I have absolutely no use for anyone who will steal from another.  As far as
I am concerned they can shoot 'em, throw them in prison for the rest of
their life...anything they want short of "rehabilitating" them, then
releasing them to steal again.  They took tools from me my father gave me as
a teen.  They stole items I can never replace.  And unless you have been a
victim of the vermin of the human race, you cannot appreciate the very
lowest regard in which I hold them.  A person works hard all his or her life
to be able to afford something they truly treasure.  Then someone has the
total lack of moral character to take that from them.

I truly hope that I am in my shop the next time someone tries to break in.
And those of you who know me will feel this is totally out of character for
me, but let me just say that I hope I do NOT have to use the .38 that is
always within reach of me in the shop these days if that day comes, because
I would rather beat them with a ball bat.  They deserve no better.

The sad fact is that Mark's car is probably being cut up as we read this and
the trailer is either ditched or repainted and ready for use or sale.  The
tow truck will also be stripped.  People who can't abide by the laws of this
country should find another country in which to live.  Maybe they can shape
that country's society to meet their needs.  My solution has always been to
ship them off to Alcatraz, but with an important difference from the prison
of old: no guards.  Just put them there, drop off minimal supplies from
time-to-time and let them shape a new society.  Should be a dandy.  Maybe a
new "reality" television series!

There.  I feel better, although I'm still out thousands of dollars in car
parts.

Rick