Re: Daytona 24 Hours

To: Jim Hill <jrhill@chorus.net>
Subject: Re: Daytona 24 Hours
From: Stan Hanks <stan@tta.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:54:35 -0800
> How do race teams turn a profit on events like this?

In the early 90s, the answer was "selling seat time to rich wannabes"...

We'd get a load of dough for selling seat time to actors, lawyers,
anyone with the cash we needed to make the trip at least break even.
The shorter IMSA races were easier, but Daytona was expensive due to
the number of engines we could count on eating, and Sebring was
expensive due to the body damage for night-time off course excursions.

Regarding corporate sponsors, there's a line from "Days of Thunder" that
always made me laugh because of how true it was. Randy Quaid is asking
Robert Duvall about the sponsorship deal they got and Duvall looks back
in that slighly irritated way he has and said "they gave us just about
enough to cover painting their name on the car"...

Stan