Re: Magnetic oil trap

To: rlmarcum@citcom.net
Subject: Re: Magnetic oil trap
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:19:26 EST
In a message dated 11/29/03 8:40:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rlmarcum@citcom.net writes:

> a magnetic oil trap

Bob,

I don't think those worked because the magnetic force would dissapate too
much to do any real good.

How much ferrious material are you wanting to attract? I think in a race car
you change oil enough to drain it out with the oil.

In the case of your Mini where you CAN expect a lot or steel from the gears a
MECCA prestrainer does the job and has room inside to place a magnet if you
are so inclined.

In a conventional engine you can place a magnet in the oil pan beafore you
bolt it on, possibly near the oil pump intake.

Having said that, I think a good filter snags anything large enough to do
harm anyway.

Hey, I just checked ebay! Eureka!

    Turbo-Mag: Super strong oil filter magnet NR    Item number: 2444814254

MAGNET FOR OIL FILTER, AUTOMOBILE   Item number: 2577051337

NdFeB Rare Earth Magnets, 100 LOT! *BARGAIN!*   Item number: 3159581231

Jack Woehrle