Re: Newbie question

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:49:41 +0000
> > >If you lived within 60 miles of your race track, and could buy a vintage
>> >car that you could both drive to the track and race, which would it be?
>> >In other words, which car might be the best combination of street
> > >reliability and track performance?

I think you've got to go a long way to beat a TR4. OK, I'm biased, but even in
near-standard form they're great to drive on a track, and the initial mods
(cage, race seats, cut-off, fire extinguisher, etc) don't compromise it on-road
too much

Like most cars, they get more irritating as you modify them, but the natural
balance of the car is good and they carry lots of speed through corners which
makes them fun to drive

On the downside, they're a bit cramped with a 6-point cage and they could never
be accused of being really quick - even with an all-steel engine and Webers

But as a dual-purpose car you can drive with the roof off they take a lot of
beating. If you live somewhere with good weather then the roof can stay off
year-round. Unlike here...

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk