Re: Venolia Piston Failure at Mid Ohio

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Venolia Piston Failure at Mid Ohio
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:44:02 -0500
Well the downdraft pushrod formula 3 ? engine I had in the Lotus 23 that
belonged to Charlie Gibson, and with which he won several championships,
as I recall, had a red line up around 13,000.  It was an FVA or
something like that. It used a big Weber with one stack blocked off and
Cosworth cut an opening in the top of the head for the inlet and blocked
off the side carb runners.  It was the damnedest thing you ever saw.

If Charlie is on line he will comment I am sure.  I wrecked the car
badly at MIS in about 1070 and Charlie eventually got the car back and I
would guess still has sit to this day, but sans engine.

I sold the engine to Howie Fairbanks for use in a Formula C car and he
won several national championships with the little mill.  He said it was
the best darn engine he had ever owned.

Larry Dent