Re: GPS receivers?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GPS receivers?
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:33:21 -0700
Mark,

The quick answer to your question is yes, handhelds are accurate enough to do
that job. I work for the DOT here in AlberDUH and use a Megellan 315 quite a
bit. When I'm out on the road logging a trip I can see the separation in the
driving lanes between going to and from a destination. If you have a good lock
and plenty of satellites, you should be able to get sub meter (ok, foot!)
accuracy in the horizontal. Vertical sux.

A cool feature I use is with scanned an airphotos registered within FUGAWI
software. I take the laptop out in the field with me so I can locate features
on the ground while essentially viewing them from way up there. That might work
quite well for laying out a racecourse on the airphoto then putting the cones
exactly where you want them on the tarmac.

--
Marcel Chichak    chichm@telusplanet.net
        Edmonton Alberta Canada, eh?