Re: FF help

To: DGreimel@aol.com
Subject: Re: FF help
From: Barry J Hammel <BlueSky@execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 14:10:55 -0600
Don

DGreimel@aol.com wrote:

> Fellow listers:
> I am beginning a search for a vintage FF.  Knowing very little about them

Don't limit your self to vintage.  Consider "club"  FF which varies around the
country.  Usually '73 to around '81/'82 depends on model.  Vintage can be very
pricy and limiting when it comes to usage.  A Lotus 51, which I lust after,
would
be criminal to put into a tree or the rear of another FF.

> Is there an FF racer list or web site?

Formula Ford Underground WAS great - it ceased to function for new stuff this
summer. But is still a good archive site - searchable.  Two have succeeded it:
www.ff1600.com    and   www.fffed.com

The former is larger but don't neglect the 2nd one.  Lots of GREAT advice. I
bought Van Diemen '83 about a year ago lots of help from these sites.

> Is there a preferred make or model?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

> Is there a preferred gearbox ?

Hewland's are used except for very early Lotus that used left-hand Renault
boxes.

> Which tyres are best?

Tires are often spec'd by region and vintage vs club.  To keep costs down for
example some clubs specify a hard Hoosier tire that might last most of a season.

> I am making the move from a production Morgan 4/4 in a effort to reduce cost
> and get into a "real" racecar with no fenders.

I have raced showroom Alfa and Sunbeam Alpine and production Sunbeam Alpine
years
ago.  Went to driver's school recently and look forward to next spring.  Open
wheel with a power-to-weight-ratio, superb braking and handling of a FF is very
"interesting" racing  ;-)

I'll forward off-list a few other sites you might check.

Cheers,  Barry  (Milwaukee)