Metal Particles in Diff: Advice Needed

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal Particles in Diff: Advice Needed
From: Phil Buttolph <pb1@humboldt.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:26:31 -0800
Approximately 4,500 miles ago I installed an entirely rebuilt 3:73 Posi
diff in my 62' Corvette.  The frist problem was a pinion seal that started
a very slight leak at about 1,000 miles while I was on a trip.  It was
replaced at about 4,200 miles when I got back from Spearfish!  The Red Line
75w-90 had a ton of very small flecks of metal in it, which I found upon
replacing the seal.  I immediately changed it (both times adding the GM
Posi Lube) and now some 400 miles later I have more flecks of metal.  No
sounds or other discernible problems with Posi or diff at this point.  I
also replaced the axles and axle bearings when I put in the "new" Posi diff.

Questions:

(1) What is the most probable source of metal flecks?

(2) If this a self-correcting problem short of failure? (Yah I know, but I
had to ask!)  If not what is the correction?

(3) If I continue to drive it, what is the likely outcome?

Thanks in advance...

Phil:::