Re: Mini DV camcorders?

To: "Brian Mertz" <bmertz@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Mini DV camcorders?
From: <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:17:48 -0800
Brian,
After my old analog camcorder "laid over and died" my wife bought me a Canon
ZR40 digital camcorder. It was reasonably priced and the picture/audio
quality are unbelievable. However, quality came with a price.....

I machined a custom camera mount that went on the rollbar of my Lotus 61 FF.
The mount was perfect for the old camera.With the digital camera whenever I
got over about 2000rpm the sound started breaking up and the picture started
losing its quality. What I ended up doing was mounting the camera on the
mirror brackets (forward of the windscreen). This seemed to move the camera
far enough away from the ignition "noise", and I get that unbelievably clear
picture I mentioned earlier. I use an external microphone and the sound
quality is equally great; although it sometimes "breaks up" if I'm in a lot
of traffic. (You now how us formula Ford guys are..... We get lonely if
we're not running in a pack!!)

I'm putting this out to the vintage net in the hopes that there is an
"electronics guru" who could advise how to shield the camera from ignition
noise so I can move it back to the rollbar mount.

Good luck to you Brian, and thanks in advance to anyone assisting with the
ignition noise problem.
    Carl McLelland
        HSR-West/CSRG #247 Lotus 61 formula Ford