re: trailer questions

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: re: trailer questions
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@tctc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:25:17 +0000
As someone who grew up around RV's, trailers, and worked for a while
as an RV mechanic, I'll throw in what I would use to make that
trailer tow a little easier.  One: weight distribution system. It
will eliminte 90% of the sway and bouncing of the trailer.  Two:
load the trailer properly.  You want the weight centered just
slightly ahead of the axles.  Definitely NOT behind it.  Three: add
an auxilliary transmission cooler to the truck.  The factory ones
built into the radiator are pretty wimpy. A seond one is pretty cheap
insurance.  Oh, and get a GOOD electronic brake control.  I don't
recommend anything except Tekonsha.  The place I worked tried another
brand  Supposed to be solid state, no moving parts, high tech,
virtually bulletproof.  Two out of every three we installed went bad
within a month.  No brakes - not a good thing, even here in the flat
midwest.  I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel
free to ask me.

Calvin K
--
this message created using 100% recycled electrons