HANS & Hutchens

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: HANS & Hutchens
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:11:59 +0000
Good article in Circle Track magazine last month on head & enck restraints
... I'm not a frightful person but the more I see, the more concerned I get.
  They do the "sled test" at 60 MPH into a solid barrier and it kills the
dummy at that speed, if no restraint.  Earnhart's velocity vector into the
wall was only 42 MPH.  Sobering.

Anyone on this list using one yet?  I think the question came up a few
months ago, but there didn't seem to be much response.  Hutchens device
certainly less expensive and I understand some NASCAR guys prefer it, but it
looks cumbersome in the pictures.  I have also looked a the web site for the
Wright device, he supplies plans & you make it yourself.  HANS is actually
looking less cumbersome, but I have no experience.

Anyone using one?  Comments?

Mark Palmer