Re: Trailer Recommendations/Hints

To: stan@tta.com
Subject: Re: Trailer Recommendations/Hints
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:25:16 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/2002 10:27:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, stan@tta.com
writes:

<< As a natural born Texican, I'm embarassed to say this but what in THE hel
 is a "Texas roll back style" trailer?? Pointer to a photo on the net
 would be helpful, good description would be almost as good...

 Stan >>

For Stan and any other "Trailer Challenged":

A "Texas roll-back" is a flat bed, open trailer, sometimes with a full
diamond plate bed, or with two metal tracks and an open center.  The axle
assemblies are tied to a sub-frame and can be slid forward and backward under
the main trailer frame, and the tongue is hinged and pinned.  To load, you
lock or chock the wheel assemblies so they stay in one place.  You unlock the
bed from the wheel assemblies (usually via a big lever or pin), and unpin the
tongue.  Then, you get in your tow vehicle and back up about 6 - 8 ft.  The
bed slides back on the wheels and begins to tilt down to meet the
ground...thus no ramps are needed.  You drive or winch the vehicle on, then
do this process in reverse.  Pull the tow vehicle forward and the bed moves
back to horizontal.  You can often adjust where the wheels ride on the frame
to balance the load.  Its pretty trick to watch, just not as quick and easy
as it sounds or looks.  These trailers are also much heavier than their
non-tilt counterparts due to the extra hardware/sub-frames.  I've attached a
photo, but don't know if it will get to the list posting??

I would also add that the "weather factor" mentioned by several is also a
major consideration.  I ended up taking a "scenic" route one year from
Seattle to Portland that ended up on a dirt logging road with no where to
turn around, and then it started storming.  My car looked worse than the Baja
100 afterwards and took several trips throught $0.25 car wash to get just the
big chunks off of it, the trailer, my bike, and astroturf stored on the
trailer.  The protection of an enclosed trailer is well worth the money.

My latest trailer is a 2001 Carson 20 ft., with some upgrades (chrome wheels,
diamond plate trim, aluminum trim on front/top corners, inside finish, nice
hardware, and was only around $5800 brand new.  Got it from Concord Garden
Center in Concord, CA.  (925) 682-9777.  Ask for Big Mike if you want a quote
on one.

Another good source for trailers or any kind of trailer parts is George of
Action Trailer Sales in San Jose (408) 288-6236.

Regards,
Myles

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Backup.jpg]