Car -- thanks!

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Car -- thanks!
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:03:30 -0500
Thanks to all who responded. I'm really pleased that this community
feels that there are indeed some fun and interesting four doors out
there.

Here's the REST of the story. I have a 92 BMW 525 that I absolutely
love to drive. I'm the second owner, 114,000 miles on it.
Unfortunately, it is the only car that I've had in my life that has
stranded me, immobile, THREE times in three years. It's the only one
for which I purchased a set of tools, shop manual, and spare parts to
carry in the trunk. And, every time, when I asked the nice person at
the 800 number for the nearest dealer, that dealer was 200 miles
away. Heck. What good is a love affair if your lover doesn't love you
back? I think they are wonderful when under factory warranty, but not
later -- and I have three friends who say the same about Mercedes. Not
to knock them, not to offend, but just my current frame of mind.

Maximas and Altimas sure came with a lot of recommendations, didn't
they? I would have been tempted except for the scarcity of dealers,
even though you all say they are bulletproof.

Well, I thought you might be interested in what happened. The local
Lincoln dealer called today. He had taken in a 2000 LS with -- get
this -- 9000 miles on it (all the radio stations play Lawrence Welk),
two years and 40,000 miles remaining on bumper-to-bumper, and when I
step on the gas, it has a lot of good old American low-end grunt,
different from the Bimmer, which really sang but only the soprano
notes above 3000. I have two certificates from the state that attest
to this.

So, for $20,000 and my only-somewhat-aged BMW, I bought the Lincoln.
Only time will tell how unwise that was, but that's my story and I'm
stickin to it.

Thanks again -- this was good fun.

uncle jack