Re: head lamps

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: head lamps
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:31:35 -0600
Here's a thought.  Get the plastic covers and stick on those decals that
look like headlights.  I've seen them available somewhere (hot rod
shop?).  Now, you'll be saving the weight of the headlights and still
have the classic looks.  As silly as it sounds, you'll have to tape over
the decals or some enterprising corner worker will have you flagged in
(as Burt Levy would say "no lie").

Another thought is to paint the INSIDE of the clear plastic covers with
the color of your choice.  Some people in my race group do this.  They
look better and bugs and rocks don't scratch the paint.

I'm reminded of the SVRA Watkins Glen event in September when someone
showed up with a former SCCA MG Midget with huge fender flares and flat
body-colored blanks on the headlight holes.  The car was all white and
after a tounge-lashing by Jack (or one of his Techs, I don't recall) the
individual was allowed to race, but required to put silver duct tape on
his headlight blanks to make them look more like headlights and black
duct tape on the flares to minimize them.  Although that sounds hokey,
some of the pictures I got later showed it to be relatively effective.
If you got the latest edition of British Car Magazine you'll see it in
the background in one of the pictures of the event.  It is the white
Midget with the blue center stripe.  Now, I'm not suggesting you show up
with silver duct tape for headlights...

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD