Re: SU HD8 Carb's on a TR4

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU HD8 Carb's on a TR4
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:33:30 EST
In a message dated 17/01/02 11:55:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tr4u@earthlink.net writes:

> I have acquired a set of SU HD8's from a 3.8L Jaguar.
> My question is will they fit the stock TR4 manifold. The are 2 inch =
> bore.
> I have SK racing carbs on my car now and thought if the HD8's fit the =
> stock manifold. I might look for a manifold and use them as parts for =
> the SK's are hard to find and Mine need a rebuild.

The bolt pattern is the same, but your TR manifold is angled and the Jag
carbs are horizontal mount. Better to find a set of angle mount carbs with
the floats at the right angle, or better yet a set of HS-8 with flex mounted
floats (they came on Rovers, among others).

Are you sure that the carbs would add anything in terms of power, over a
properly set up pair of 1 3/4" carbs? I see people putting them on MGBs all
the time, to no end, as they only work with very highly tuned engines, past
the point that most vintage racers would want to go.

Bill