"Nasty Boy" Conversions

To: Jhalfdime@aol.com
Subject: "Nasty Boy" Conversions
From: Mark Donaldson <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:01:02 +1300
The only one I've seen done here in NZ was mid seventies.
3.5 litre Rover V8 engine (same block as Buick Riviera) was an easy transplant.
Stock, with hydraulic lifters it cranked an easy 180 bhp from 213 ci.
With solid lifters, a warm cam and a Holley Quadrajet, it did much better!
Wires would have been history from day one, so period alloy wheels were fitted.
All in all, a very nice conversion, as are most that I've seen in your country.
No wonder DMH was so keen on them.
I think he was quite a hot-rodder at heart.

BTW, you can fit 60 spokers to the rear only on a stock Healey "100".
They won't fit on the front because of the brake drums so your enterprising
buddy
would have had 48s on the front.
Would have made the handling more than a bit squirrely!

Mark Donaldson

*********************************

Jhalfdime@aol.com wrote:

>     I had a fraternity brother in college ('64-'68) who did 3 AH 100 to Chevy
> small block conversions.  First was a 265 4 bbl mated to a 3 speed.
> Conversion amounted to rerouting steering and clutch linkage and was 100 lb.
> lighter; 2nd was a 283 4 bbl again with a 3 speed; third was a 283 FI mated
> to a (I still choke when thinking of it) Powerglide (His girl friend couldn't
> figure out how to cope with a clutch.  All three went like stink and tore up
> the 60 spoke wires he started with.
>     He built each in late winter, sold them in the fall, and made about $1000
> 1960s dollars on each one besides having three great summers!
> Cheers,
>     Plug Nichol

///
///  vintage-race@autox.team.net mailing list