RE: Flywheel Explosions

To: "'Mike Cobine'" <mcobine@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Flywheel Explosions
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:20:16 -0700
When we raced our 2000 I used a piece of special conveyor belting as the
scatter shield.  It was approved by SCCA tech.  I bolted it to the inside of
the trans tunnel.  As the motor and trans were removed and reinstalled
(again and again) it never got in the way.  It was also very light.

In the past the SCCA only required scatter shields when a flywheel explosion
could injure the driver.  Therefore most rear engined cars did require one.

Mike---Has SCCA changed and no longer require one?

Dick Ryan  ex. 24022
(650)312-4022
Risk Management Dept.
SM 2000/2