Re: More arcane brake fittings stuff

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: More arcane brake fittings stuff
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:48:19 -0400
Blatantly copied from the Dimeband Garage web site:

"The SAE 45 degree double flare usually has a male-threaded tube nut that
bears directly on the OD of the flared tube- so you need a double flare to
help control galling that can result in stress cracking right at the flare.
In short, you need "give" there. Problem is, the deformation that results
is kind of irreversible, so the next cycle or two will result in your
having to use astronomical torques to keep the flare from weeping. Worse is
trying to use a single flare in an SAE flare nut and seat, and worse still
if the seat is brass- the flared tube is sqaushed from both sides, even as
it is deformed by the nut galling on it. The brass seat deforms and work
hardens. It may seal once, with a ton of torque and some luck. It's not
recommended practice - it's not even a good idea.

Racers (and aircraft, which is where the system originated as the
"Army-Navy" or AN standard in WWII) use the single 37 degree flare. The AN
single flare is still a concave flare, but its 37deg angle seals by
stretching, not squashing. The tube is supported by a separate sleeve that
the female-threaded tube nut bears upon. This isolates the flare from the
torques imparted by the nut. So rather than trying to get a seal despite
the presence of rotating torques and the resulting galling, you press the
flare between precisely-machined (steel!) seat and precisely-machined
support sleeve. The sealing area under compression is at least double that
of the SAE flare. An additional bonus is that the OD of the nut is a lot
larger than the 3/8" of an SAE nut, which means you won't kill as many
trying to get the proper sealing torque. (Even so, you should always use a
proper flare nut wrench on any tube nut.) "

So you're right - the double flare helps reduce the damage caused by
galling.  In the case of Girling "bubble" flares I think that the squashing
and deformation of the bubble is critical, and you can only squash it once.

brian