Re: A stud short

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: A stud short
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:50:06 -0400
It's pretty simple.  First, you get an 11 stud head to copy and drill the
head.  Note that the stud is actually a necked down bolt that has a 5/16"
NC thread rather than the 3/8" NC thread of the stud.   The head is then
used to locate the new hole in the block, which is normally drilled down
into the water pump opening on Cooper S blocks.  If you're drilling a non-S
block then you could choose not to drill through and thus eliminate a
potential water leakage issue.  The bolt is torqued to 25 ft-lbs only, and
not over-torqued, as the block is not very strong in that area.  If you
don't have a handy Cooper S head to copy, just get a 1275 head gasket -
they all have the 11th stud hole punched in them.  I've done this mod once,
but never bothered after that, as I never seemed to have head gasket issues
in that area that I needed to solve as long as I was using uprated studs
for all the regular studs.

brian

At 12:14 PM 7/17/01 -0400, David Littlefield wrote:
>A friend wants to put an 11th head stud in his BMC A Series (I think 1098
>or 1275).  I believe this was done on the Mini Cooper S engines.  Anyone
>know where I can find information on how to do this so he can give it to
>the machine shop?  Vizard apparently doesn't address it in his book.
>
>Thanks.
>
>David Littlefield
>'62 MGA MkII
>'51 MGTD