MSD & other electronic ignitions

To: "Vintage Race Digest" <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: MSD & other electronic ignitions
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:59:24 -0400
Larry:

You may be right about e.i. not having any value at "vintage rpm's."
However, as far as reliability goes, I'm perfectly happy to have spent $100
or so back in 1997 for a Crane e.i.  All I've had to do since then (60,000
miles), is change plugs a few times, and rotor & cap once each.

Complexity?  It's so simple that when I went to a full centrifical dizzy a
few months ago, it was no more difficult changing over the complete setup
than is a normal point & condenser change.   Well maybe a bit more as I'm
trying to make the underhood area as neat as the interior of my B.  So, I
spent some extra time fussing with wire location, tie-offs, etc.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB daily driver/occasional racer (And, if its failure to have had
owners who raced it in the '60's & 70's is frowned upon, I'll install a
cage, run SCCA for a year & come back to vintage racing with a car "with
racing history.")