RE: EGT measurements

To: WMW79@aol.com
Subject: RE: EGT measurements
From: Mike.Savin@nokia.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:51:07 -0500
Hi Bill!

        I'm glad I can be useful here:

        In kart racing, particularly enduro kart racing (laydown karts run
on
road racing tracks such as Daytona, Riverside, Willow Springs for example
we would use exhaust gas temp gauges to constantly monitor engine
conditions.
With a high-speed two-stroke engine turning over 14,000 rpm the EGT gauge
would give constant monitoring of the engine.

        The gauge would be used to prevent the engine from sticking due to a
lean condition.

        You would have to determine safe operating temperatures for your
particular engine.  A sudden surge in temperature could indicate a leaning
condition.  I believe the gauge could be useful for tuning Weber carbs  --
but
monitoring the gauge could be a problem -- perhaps using data acquisition
software, hardware would collect the desired data in conjunction with the
gauge.

        Try www.russellkarting.com or  www.cometkartsales.com  for devices
of this nature.

(A note of interest re comet kart sales:  IRL driver Mark Dismore runs this
business --)

    --- Mike