RE: shock therapy

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: shock therapy
From: Mike.Savin@nokia.com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:58:27 -0500
Well, yes, now I'm reminded how a few years back (1983) when trying to
decide
between a Corvette, an XKE, or a Porsche for my next car, I chose a '73 454
Corvette convertible.  Never regretted the choice, however, part of my
reasoning
was, well it's a Chevy isn't it?  Cost of parts and labor has got to be
cheaper.

I soon found how wrong my logic was -- and simple parts for the 454 were
difficult
to obtain -- just things like the correct radiator hoses, fan belts, the
starter motor.
were not off-the-shelf.  Even a Chevrolet dealership/repair center
 could not get me the stock starter motor.  Of course, a Chevy dealer would
charge
Corvette prices, not chevy prices for parts and labor.  (Admittedly, it was
more
difficult to service items around that big engine -- just changing a
radiator hose
would result in my hands being all cut up from the tight compartment and
many
sharp edges).

    -- Mike