re: Older Ford 350 p/u as tow vehicle - whaddya think?

To: <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Older Ford 350 p/u as tow vehicle - whaddya think?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 14:34:00 -0400
I can offer my experience with an '83 F250, 6.9l Diesel with Banks turbo (4
spd manual trans):

I bought my pick up w ~ 170K. It came with the Banks Turbo installed by the
PO. He was meticulous about taking care of the truck, had records of all
work & oil changes. I currently have 265,000 miles on it, it runs fine, uses
maybe 1 quart of oil in 2,000 miles (and its time to change the oil before
it needs another quart). I consistently get 18+ MPG, either empty or
carrying a 2,500 lb. camper or towing a car trailer.

Things to remember when considering a diesel:
    1. Fuel economy is a plus, my old Chevy with 292 CI six would get 15-17
MPG empty, 12-15 loaded (same camper).
    2. Diesel can be slightly harder to find (but not a problem in larger
cities or near interstates)
    3. Diesel engine repairs will be more costly. [I had to replace the fuel
injection pump for about $700US (parts & labor)] But:
    4. If well cared for (i.e. regular oil, fuel filter & air filter
changes) long term cost *should* be less.
    4a. Oil change is 10 quarts! every 3,000 miles!! Coolant capacity is
measured in gallons...
    5. Acceleration will not be as brisk. Think in terms of 'gathering
speed'...

Diesel turbo-charging is slightly different from auto (gasoline) turbo.
Briefly, a diesel is 'unthrottled', the intake tract is wide open. Speed is
controlled by how much fuel is injected. The Banks turbo as fitted to the
diesel is a low-pressure unit. I have an exhaust gas temp gauge & manifold
pressure gauge. Under load (hard acceleration, climbing hills) the manifold
pressure is 5-7psi, exhaust temps 500 - 900 F. Cruising at 65mph, manifold
pressure is 1 - 3 psi, exhaust temps 300 - 600 F. Without the turbo,
manifold pressure would be 0 (no vacuum as a gas engine) but exhaust temps
would be higher. My point is that the turbo does not add significant stress
to the engine but actually helps lower exhaust temps and increase economy.

The only issue I've had with my truck (other than replacing the injection
pump) is a worn ring gear. Since the clutch is working fine, I've been
loathe to remove the trans to get to the flywheel to replace the ring gear.
I have replaced the starter motor at about 40,000 mile intervals due to
excess wear on the pinion gear. Remanufactured starters cost about $100.
(Yes, I realize I would have paid for the clutch job & new ring gear by now
if I had done it right from the start...)

Also, you don't mention where you are in cyberspace but the diesel does not
like cold weather starts. I have a block heater in mine which I used
regularly when we lived in Massachusetts. If/when you go to test drive this
truck, be aware that it will be very noisy after a cold start. (Sounds like
a handful of ball bearings are bouncing around in the sump...) It takes 15 -
20 minutes to settle down to merely noisy. My kids nick-named it the Stealth
Truck *not*! I do not feel it is excessively noisy at normal highway speeds,
there is one speed (about 50mph) that seems to have some kind of resonance
through the cab. My answer is to not stay at that speed...

Eric
Mebane, NC

    <copy>