Vintage Racing

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vintage Racing
From: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:41:49 -0500
Listers,
  The March issue of Victory Lane came last week... great read as usual.  The
"From the Driver's Seat" editorial by Dan Davis was especially well written
and well thought out.  For those of you that didn't see it, the column is on
line at:

http://www.victorylane.com/Drivers_seat_Mar01.html

  Everyone should read the whole column, but the punch line is:

The "Spirit of Vintage Racing" is most often said in words similar to:
"Prepare the vintage or historic car to the condition it was raced or could
have raced in its most famous form and year, to the rules, technology and
materials of that point in time. Enjoy the period authentic racing experience
whether it is of the 1906 or 1999 variety in a spirit of sportsmanship and fun
gentlemanly racing, keeping in mind that vintage auto racing is not a serious
profession but a fun hobby for the drivers."

  In my mind, that says it all.  It's why I like Sports 2000 cars, FFs newer
than 1972 and older than 1972, GTP cars, Stock cars, pre-war cars, Indycars,
old Alfas, MGAs, and all the other cars.. if fact, I've never met a car I
didn't like (except Porches), and have never been to a vintage race I didn't
like.

Vaughn