Tow vehicled

To: Vintage Race List <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow vehicled
From: Richard Hardison <cobra@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:06:33 -0600
This subject seems to raise more interest than the race cars we tow!

Having said that, I will add my two cents worth.  For my first four
years of towing vintage cars in an enclosed Wells Cargo trailer I used a
Chevy K1500 extended cab 4X4 with the 350ci gas engine.  Even modest
Texas hills were a pain and slowed the rig to an embarrassing speed.
Towing from Dallas to Elkhart Lake was a chore.  Mileage averaged about
8mpg, and wind was a killer.  Trailer and FF or FB weighed no more than
4000 lb. even with all the ordinary junk we haul.

Last fall I bought a 2001 Dodge 2500 extended cab 4X4 with the Cummins
diesel.  It is not perfect, but I like it.  We towed from Dallas to VIR
through the mountains in TN and NC.  Tough mountains and very strong
wind still slow the rig when in auto transmission over drive, but not
much.  Dropping out of OD solves that problem, but is probably best
limited to 65mph.  We got 12.8mpg with the FB in the trailer and 13.1mpg
with the trailer empty.  I find strong wind as much of a problem as
normal uphill grades.  It is a tall trailer.  The Dodge is very
comfortable on long trips.  We're happy with the choice.

Richard