generator / alternator question

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: generator / alternator question
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:29:55 -0600
I'd appreciate some input and education regarding generators vs.
alternators, and damage that can be caused by turning them without them
being hooked up. Three questions:

If a ONE-WIRE alternator is spun without being hooked up, my
understanding is that no damage will occur. True or false?

If a genrator is spun with the fields energized but the armature not
hooked up, my understanding is that it will damage the generator. True
or false?

If a generator is spun with neither fields nor armature hooked up, my
understanding is that no damage will occur. True or false?

--asking this in relation to master switch hookup, and the difficulty
I've experienced trying to use the expensive six-contact master shutoff
switch in cars with one-wire alternators.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and being rebuilt