Re: cherry tree

To: markwroper@compuserve.com, pat@prismacars.com
Subject: Re: cherry tree
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:35:22 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/00 5:38:30 AM, markwroper@compuserve.com writes:

<< Well, I have been to Le Mans more times than I care to remember and I don't
think I ever saw either driver ( Lincon or Washington) leave the track and
knock
down any trees ! >>

Here's the story:
    You see Washington was driving a Lincoln in the 1789 running of the
French classic when he knocked down a cherry tree on his way to Tech
inspection.  Although he was gallantly honest about his faux pas and his
entry was impeccably prepared within the rules, the French inspectors
disqualified him on a violation of an obscure portion of the regulations that
has never been translated successfully into any other language.  Since
Washington did not appear in the results, this historic event was lost from
motor racing history for quite some time.
    By the way, I own the 1789 "Washington" Lincoln and it will be auctioned
on Ebay.

    Cheers to all, Doug Meis.