Ignition timing on a Sprite?

To: "Vintage List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition timing on a Sprite?
From: "Kendall F Jones" <mrjones2@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:09:09 -0400
Now that I've got a means to set my ignition timing correctly (TDC mark on
top of the crank pulley & an adjustable timing light), I was wondering if
anyone has learned the lesson of what works.

 Here's what I got - SCCA IT spec motor (very mild by vintage specs), .040
over, stock head/cam/carbs.  Electronic ignition with non-vacuum advance
distributor, with 19 degree mechanical advance.  I've always set the timing
but just "twisting it till is sounds good" at idle, however, I popped the
dist out during a warm-up and it has not been set back to what it was (cause
I dont know what I started with).

Any hints?  Whats a good initial and total advance?  I once heard 32 degrees
was a good total advance, would that get me in the ballpark?

thanks
Kendall