VIR homecoming

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: VIR homecoming
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:50:41 -0000
it is a bit of a drive from up here in the north, buy worth evry mile of it
upon arival!  friday's touring run found us all alone test driving the track
in the 293,000 mile '79 chevy van(after the other three vehicles left us a
bit behind.  if you guys heard tires schreeching during the friday's drivers
meeting it was just us doing a vintage tow vehicle road test !!  we figured
that we were the only competitor there in "V" PRODUCTION (V=VAN).  on our
last lap found a lotus that ran out of gas and dug out my trailer tie
downs(for a tow strap) and decided to tow him in and deliver the car and
driver to their rig.  hey it was a beautiful sunny day and i know i would
hate to be left to bake sitting all alone in my car.  and so the weekend
went saturday night we ended up rebuilding a carb in the motel room on the
table for a fellow competitor's car. the entire weekend was an exciting time
from start to finish(wished i had one of my play toys along(long story and
not worth getting into).  finally got our morgan running right and all
sorted out for sunday's race and lost a left rear tire on course(due to a
puncture) ending the weekend a little too early.  but what the heck, driver
is safe car is safe and we will be back another weekend to play again!  it
was great seeing all of you who were in attendance.  met a few who
remembered racing with my father back in the old days.  those stories are
just wonderfull to hear(right burt?).  the weather was perfect, the track is
just incredible, and the hospitality was second to none.
thanks to this meet we located a second 2 stroke saab that is going to be
prepared for my friend jon to drive(it's what he really wanted) in good
condition with a good degree of chassis work already completed.  possibly
next season will be that car's target.
it was a fabulous event!  thank you all who worked to put together the
event(and facility)!

chuck.
any one with any photographs of us touring on friday in the van?  we would
love a picture!
now about that "V" production class for vintage tow
getting pretty desperate, huh? racing the tow vehicle...not!   what a riot
!...  you really had to be there!....c.