brake disk wobble/shuddering

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: brake disk wobble/shuddering
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:58:37 EDT
Hi,

I rebuilt my front hubs with new bearings and races, and installed new
brake rotors on my '73 911.
The brake disks now show about the max factory runout (.008) which is a LOT.
I thought it might be the disk, so rotated it and remounted to the hub
and found the hub is actually the problem as the same part of the hub
was still wobbling the same.  I did one hub rebuild myself and one
at a machine shop and both are off similarly.

Braking at Watkins Glen afterward was not good, high braking pressure
caused shuddering. My last set of brake disks shuddered for several
events then stopped, maybe the old disks wore off the .008 from the
high points?

I am not sure where the hub wobble comes from, I don't quite
understand how the bearings/races/spindle/etc work together.
I guess the wobble is due to the bearing
races not being perfectly squared, or the hub not true??
Could it be the spindle which I messed up a but when installing the
spacer ring?

Anyway, how do I fix the problem:

1)  Have the hub machined flat where the disk mounts?
This would seem to get the brake disk nice but the wheel may
still shimmy a bit as the wheel mounts to the other side of the hub.

2) Try to straighten the bearing races somehow, maybe bang
on the race at the "high" point of the hub?

3) Am I missing something? Is this a common problem??

THANKS!!! (Pocono race next week).

 Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S  '73 911RS Clone

 my racing pages - http://www.analogman.com/911

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects   www.analogman.com