Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels

To: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels
From: "Steve Schultz" <sschultz@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:51:50 -0400
Dick,
If you want to repair the wood there are glues/adhesives that are stronger
then the wood itself. There are 2 part marine epoxy adhesives that are used
to fabricate masts and hulls that are extremely strong and will penetrate
the wood fiber to insure good adhesion and strength. Two popular brands
are WEST Systems (for Wood Epoxy Saturation Treatment) and Epiglass
from Interlux.com. Both are extremely strong adhesives and are clear. It
would be the best option to fill and fair the chips and would not come out.
If the laminated pieces of the wheel can be disassembled you may want
to do so and re- laminate the entire wheel to improve strength. Do not use
polyester or other glues as they are not as strong. These products are
available
from marine suppliers and mail order houses like BoatUS and West Marine
Stores.

Are far as the debate on the safety of wooden wheels I will leave that to
your discretion. I use a wooden wheel. Your choice but if you choose to
restore the wheel yourself I believe the above is the strongest and safest
way to go.
Steve