Re: Wire Wheels

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:43:19 -0400
This maybe the blind leading the almost blind - but I'll try.

Tightening/loosening has to do with "precession".  When two parts fit together,
whether tapered or not, the outer HAS to be marginally larger than the inner.
When both rotate at the same rpm they move at slightly different linear
(circumferential) speeds. Vice versa - if they move at the same linear speed
they
move at slightly different rpm. The differences are of course VERY slight - but
it is this difference that causes the tightening or loosening.

If you don't understand - think of two very different diameter pieces. If the
inner piece is half the diameter of the outer pieces then it would rotate at
twice the rpm for the same (linear) speed at the point of contact.  Now reduce
that concept to microns of difference and you have the wheel nut situation.

Derek