Education-the next generation

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Education-the next generation
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:19:48 +0000
Listers,

Sorry to be somewhat off topic,  but I would appreciate any recomendations
you could give a budding mechanic looking for a good education aimed at
classic cars (50-60's)?  (restoration as well as modified and high
performance)

My son (HS grad working at the local parts store and self taught mechanic) is
looking at colleges and VoTecs for the next step in his education.  He does
not want to end up switching computer chips at a dealership.  We are aware of
the classic car restoration program at McPherson College (Jay Leno) but could
use some other suggestions for getting into the racing and high performance
realm.

He was clearly born into the wrong generation with little interest in where
cars have gone since the mid 70's but a passion for those before.  His current
projects are..  fitting a modified 428 with headers into a '66 T-bird for
street... and a frame up restoration of a '62 Willys for off road.

He is primarily interested in the mechanics, but in the '50s he would have
been racing them as well as rebuilding them again.....to race the next week...

Thanks In Advance for any thoughts and please respond off line to respect the
time and interests of others,

Bill Hook,  '57 TR3  (LBC content)
Tyler Hook, '66 T-Bird (BAM - Big American Muscle)
                   '62 Willys
Seattle,