Re: Wire Wheels and Tubes 2

To: <DGreimel@aol.com>, <sbauserman@actsnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels and Tubes 2
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:48:18 -0000
we experienced a flat at roebling road running vintage td's.  it was
explained that a small label on the tube was the culprit.  the tube is still
in the back of my van.  there was no mention of the ribs chafing the tube.
although the marks from the outer wire wheel nipples where there is no rim
strip to protect the tube were very evident on the removed tube, that was
not cause of failure .  my curiosity lies in how to protect the tube from
the nipples along the outer edge of the rim where the rubber rim strip does
not cover?  the nipple marks are very evident on the removed tube and i feel
that what i see on the tube would lead to a failure.  i have seen tube
failures on what look like seams on exterior surfaces of tubes.  now this
has been on motorcycle tubes and not automotive aplications.  i just wrote
those failures off  to cheap import poor quality materials.  trying to stay
with popular brand names and supliers who have a resonable turn over of
inventory (so as not to purchase inventory that is sitting on a shelf for
long periods of time, which i do believe has adverse effects on tubes )seems
to be a very good start but not "the" only answer.  anyone have aditional
input?
chuck