Re: opinion on tires requested...bias or radial

To: jim fuerstenberg <jimf42@pyro.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: opinion on tires requested...bias or radial
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:56:28 -0500
My vote would be for the bias ply tires - their characteristic wide
performance range gives them a big "sweet spot" where you can slide them
with tremendous feedback.  Radials that I've tried seem to have a tighter
edge, even though they may well have higher ultimate performance.  Since
I'm in this for the grins, I like the old style tires better.

One thing to think of is that radials tend to like about 2.5 deg negative
camber as a minimum - can you dial that in to your suspension without any
problems?  Bias ply tend to like about 0.5 to 1 deg neg (static, depending
on roll stiffness, etc.) so they tend to look more normal on the car.  The
big negative camber tended to make my car darty under braking.

Brian