CSRG @ Sears Point

To: "Vintage list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: CSRG @ Sears Point
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:18:13 -0800
Excepting the CHP emergency vehicle operators course 15 years ago, this past
weekend with CSRG at Sears Point was the first time I've been on the track
since Riverside raceway in 1967.

One of the reasons I went with CSRG, AND THEIR CONCEPT OF VINTAGE RACING,
was to over-rev the "fun meter". If winning at any and all costs was my
goal, then SCCA or other similar sanctioning organization would have been
the way to go.

Let's face it: there are no trophies for first place, there are no points
accumulated for National Championship, and there were no formula one scouts
there this past weekend. If any of the above three are a requirement, then
CSRG is the wrong racing organization for you!

Being a "Rookie", I had one eye on each mirror, one eye on the guages and
two eyes on the track. When I saw the faster guy coming up behind I kept my
line and waved him by. A few of the competitors whom I passed were
professional enough to do the same for me.

Being the only Alpine at Sears, anybody who was there will know who I am. I
was neither the slowest or the fastest. My plan, at the end of Sundays race
was to drive the car onto the trailer, not lift it on with a wrecker! Those
who passed me, those that I passed, those that I tried to pass and couldn't,
or passed but couldn't hold the lead.... see'ya next month at ThunderHill.

To those who have a problem accepting the vintage race philosophy, check out
this website: SCCA.COM.... To those who enjoy vintage racing for what it is
(and isn't), see you at 'the Hill'.....

Carl McLelland, #247 '60 series one Sunbeam Alpine
http://carlynneracing.homestead.com/home.html