Event Insurance

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Event Insurance
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:23:24 -0700 (MST)
The recent posts regarding insuring individual vehicles was a bit interesting.
At the moment, I am interested in what possibilities there are in getting
events insured.  I believe one poster mentioned that Parrish also provides
some sort of event coverage.

Basically I am involved with Intermountain Vintage Racing here in Salt Lake
City, Utah.  We are a small, loosely organised group of "run what ya brung"
enthusiasts.  The "Vintage" part of the name is somewhat misleading at present,
as last year the majority of our race grids were first generation RX-7s.  Of
course, if you only have 5 or 6 starters in a group, it doesn't take a
whole lot to be the majority!  Event insurance has been one major factor in
planning our events.  The other happens to be that there aren't any race tracks
less than a day's drive from the metro Salt Lake area.  Keeping interest in a
road race club has been a challenge when you don't have any place to go road
racing.  All those nice orange cones and barrels along the I-15 construction
route sure would make for an interesting automotive luge course, though!

But we have stuck with it, and currently have the weekend of March 25/26 on
our slate for the start of the season.  This will be a test and tune event on
Saturday, followed by a race day on Sunday the 26th.  Given that we have no
real track, we run our events on the expanse of WWII vintage concrete out at
the old Wendover air force facility [Former home of the Enola Gay, for you
aviation history buffs], marking the course with cones.  Hardly a real
race track, but when you overcook your autocrossing Spitfire's brakes while
trying to outmaneuver that pesky yellow RX7, you're thankful there is nothing
on the border of the course but more flat concrete.  Er, so I've been told,
guys talk, you hear things, hey, I wasn't near the place!

Anyway, what sort of options are out there for a group like ours to cover
the liability and property damage aspects of event insurance?  Is there a
group we can implore to take us under their wing and provide decent levels
of coverage at a reasonable cost?  Last year we paid roughly $500 - $600 per
event for basic coverage, I think it was (I'm the club secretary, not the
treasurer).  So given insurance, site rental and the EMT charges, we've been
able to cover 2 out of the 3 for most of our 1999 events.  I won't even talk
about what the club owes the newsletter editor for the scant few mailings
I^H he did last year.  Hmmm, that reminds me, I need to get after the club
secretary to update www.team.net/ivr, so we have something more than a two
year old entry form on the site!

mjb.