Re: Conversion to 12 volts

To: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>
Subject: Re: Conversion to 12 volts
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:34:04 -0800
There are a few problems with this approach, but they're mostly cosmetic. A
55 T-Bird is not the kind of car you want cobbled together with a lot of
extra stuff that doesn't look right. Where are you supposed to put the 2nd
battery? You would need 2 main battery cables, unless the 12V section only
goes to the 1.5 Amp charger. To hide the 2nd battery in the trunk, you would
need to run a 2nd "main" battery cable from the 6V battery under the hood to
the other battery in the trunk. If the 2nd battery never sees any more
current than the charger provides, this would not have to be a big fat wire.
So, this is doable, if show-quality aesthtics are not a consideration. If
you go this route, I would recommend rotating the 6V batteries periodically.

The other option I can think of is to have one of the 12V chargers you like
re-engineered to keep a single 6V battery happy. I could do it, but I'd have
to charge you (pun intended). ;=)

I have seen ugly things called "dropping resistors" advertised in the J.C.
Witless catalog. These are supposed to let you use 6V electrics in a 12V
system. I wouldn't recommend it on something that costs $$$$ to fix if it
doesn't work.

I'd be very surprised if the real T-Bird experts don't already have a good
solution to this problem.