Re: Inquiry:Race at the Base

To: APSF1@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inquiry:Race at the Base
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:41:13 EST
     I participated last year.  I had a reasonably good time.  That says a
lot since I had a broken toe (from dropping my floor jack on it), was very
sick with a stomach flu all weekend and blew my motor into very small pieces
on Friday afternoon.  Eliminate the above and I would have had a great time!
The reception that the event received from the Base and the community was
great.  One highlight of the weekend was driving the race cars into town with
police escort for a reception at the pavillion on the Beach.  I did not get
to participate in the drive (see above) but the reception was a great party.
I heard from those that did the drive into town that the authorities made
sure that no one had to worry about tempermental race engines overheating at
slow speeds! (I think some people were using 5th gear and not just for gas
mileage)
    One of the very few downsides that I can think of is that the track is
very abrasive, so don't plan on using tires that "might have one more weekend
in them".
    Another excellent reason to go to this event is that it is a very
attractive destination for spouses and the rest of the family.

    Doug Meis